There will be a difference in price for online ordering versus mail or office visit, and it will require a fax. Online ordering is faster than mail ordering but will come at slight fee increase. There is regular mail shipping or UPS overnight shipping available.
Online ordering is still dependent upon State Laws concerning valid identification and familiar relation.
- Access the VitalChek website (This is a verified website also used by State.)
- Select order death certificate
- Select state of Indiana
- Select city of East Chicago
- Health Department will be – East Chicago Indiana State Department of Health (Do not select Indiana State)
- There are two shipping methods available 1 regular mail (no cost) 2 UPS Air ($17.50) shipping will automatically select UPS, unselect if not wanted.
- Each certificate is $12, website charges $8.50
- In total Regular mail order for 1 certificate is $20.50, UPS for 1 certificate is $38. If you are in need of multiple certificates the shipping fee and service charge does not increase.
To Complete Your Order
- After you put in debit/credit information and purchase you must download and print this page. That will be your authorization form which must be faxed to the East Chicago Health Department to complete your order. Fax number will be on the authorization form.
- You will also fax a photocopy of your valid license or state ID with the confirmation page. If you do not have a valid drivers or ID please refer to acceptable documents.
- For your convenience you can access fax services from public libraries, UPS stores, FedEx stores, and currency exchanges.
- Faxed orders will be processed before 12 pm Central time.
- This authorization form and photocopy of license/ID, or alternative documents, and proof of relation documents are required to complete your order. Without the fax the Health Department will not know the order exists and the company will take your payment regardless if the Department sends the certificate.
You may call the East Chicago Health Department at 219-391-8413 to verify we have received your fax.