- City Clerk
Message from the City Clerk
Welcome to the City of East Chicago’s City Clerk's Office. My staff and I are here to assist you in a professional, honest and dignified manner. Please don’t hesitate to call us.
The City Clerk shall perform or cause to be performed the following duties:
- Be Clerk of the City Court:
- Affix the seal of the Court to the process and attest to the process
- Collect all fees, fines, penalties, and forfeitures, as provided by law
- Have the power to administer oaths
- Issue all processes of the court
- Keep a complete record and docket in all court cases
- Be Clerk of the Common Council:
- Enter the "ayes" and "noes" on the vote of every ordinance or resolution and on all other matters
- Have charge of all the papers relating to the business of the Common Council
- Keep the files and papers and make and keep an accurate minute and journal or record of the proceedings of the Council
Credit / Debit Card Payments
The East Chicago Clerk’s office uses MuniciPAY for online credit or debit card transactions. There are vendor fees associated with all credit/debit card transactions. These fees are collected at the time the payment is made and are payable by the consumer not the East Chicago Clerk’s Office. Click here to make payment.
Card payments are for online or in-person use only.
If you decide to make an online payment please contact the City Clerk’s office first to obtain the amount that you owe. This will ensure you have completed your financial obligation to the court and no further actions will be taken against you for failure to pay on time. (i.e. license suspension, bench warrant, lien). Prior to completing the payment transaction, you will be informed of the fee to process the payment.
Please be advised the MuniciPAY website cannot be used to post cash bonds. Cash bond must be paid in person at the City Clerk’s office.
If you are trying to make a payment and your court date is within three days (excludes weekends and holidays), your only option is to come into the office and make the payment via cash or money order. This will ensure that payment is processed prior to your court date.
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
To obtain additional information, such as, Bureau of Motor Vehicles reinstatement fees or to obtain a written copy of your driving record please visit the State of Indiana’s website at or contact the Bureau of Motor Vehicles at 888-692-6841.